Chào các em, hôm nay Ms Anh Thư TOEIC Pacific gửi đến các em một số lý thuyết về Tenes và bài tập áp dụng. Chúc các em học tốt!
1. The simple present tense:
- We use Present Simple for repeated or habitual actions A. Where is Mary? B. At home. She sleeps late on Saturday mornings Signal words:
Always, usually, often, regulary, sometimes, rarely, seldom, never...
Everyday/ week/month/ year/ in the morning/ in the afternoon/ at night...
- Refers to a schedule for public activities or means of public transportation. Ex. The flight to HCM departs at 7 a.m tomorrow morning.
- Refers to permanent facts/ truths Ex. This document provides information about law. Water is usful to our health
- Used in some phrases I’ll be home until she comes Tell her to call me as soon as she arrives . Her father will be very happy every time/the moment/ when she comes home.
2. The present continuous tense
- Used for temporary states or actions happening at the moment of speaking. Ex. We are learning English. Signal words: At this moment, at the moment, at this time, today, now, right now.
- Used to refer to fixed arrangments Ex. We are increasing the petro price next month. I have called my friend. We are going to have dinner together this Sunday.
3. The Present perfect tense
- Used for actions or stats which beban in the past and continue up to the present. Ex. I have been a clerk for two years. (He is still a clerk.)
- Used for recent actions or states or for actions which happened at an unstated time in the past. I have ever eaten this kind of food. (time is not mentioned here) Signal word: just, ever, never, already, yet, always, how long, so far, for, since, recently, up to now....
- Used for experience. Ex. This is the first time I have eaten this kind of food. She is the most interesting girl I have ever met.
4. The present perfect continuous tense
- Used to show that an action began in the past and continue to this moment in the present (Focus on the progress of the action) Ex: I have been waitingfor you for 3 hours. I have been learning English for 10 years. Signal words: All the morning, all the afternoon, all day long, since, for, how long.
5. The present tense:
- Used for actions or states which finished in the past. Ex. I was a clerk for 7 year. (He is not a clerk now, he is a businessman.)
- For actions or states which finished in a stated time in the past. Ex. I bought this car two years ago.
- To show which of two action in the past lasted for a shorter time Ex. They were playing in the yard when It rained. Signal words: Last night/ year/month, yesterday, ....ago, in 1990...
6. The past continuous tense:
- To show that an action was in progress at a certain point in the past Ex. I was hoping to get a call from them at 8.pm last night.
- To show which of two actions in the past was longer. Ex. She was drawing a contract when I came Signal word: At this time last night, at this moment last year, at 8 p.m last night, while
7. The past perfect tense: Subject + had +verb (pII)
- Used to show which of two actions in the past happened first. Ex: He missed his appointment because his car had broken down.
- Used to show an action happening before a certain time in the past. I had worked for the bank for 5 years by 2011. Signal words: When, by the time, until, before, after
8. The simple future: S + will + V (infinitive)
- Used to express prediction, warnings, offers, promises, threats, requests, suggestions, on-the-spot decisions, opinions, hopes and fears (especially with words such as: think, expect, suppose, hope, believe, know and probably.) Signal words: tomorrow/ within the next three weeks/ next week/ in the upcoming year/ until + future time/ from now on/ in two weeks...........
9. The future perfect Subject + will have + V(pII)
- Used to express a completed action before another action in the future. Ex. I will have left home for an hour when she arrives.
- Used to express an completed action before a certain time in the future. Ex. I will have worked for this company for 5 year by 2020.
10. The future Continuous tense
- To talk about future action in progress at a particular time and as a way of expressing plans and intentions Ex. Next week at this time, you will be having a meeting with a client. The post office will be increating the delivery price next month.
Exercise: I. Choose one correct option in the parentheses
1. Mr. Chen (finished/finish) reviewing the summary yesterday.
2. We often (announce/ will announce) the date for interviews in a local paper.
3. The board (convened/ will convene) an executive session tomorrow.
4. Many workers (go/went) abroad) in 2003.
5. Ms Cooper (met/ meets) one of her European clients three days ago.
6. Ms. Tracy (is preparing, was preparing) the annual report now.
7. Our CEO (will be attending/ was attending) an important meeting.
8. This time tomorrow, Chris (is attending/will be attending) an important meeting.
9. She (worked/ was working) on her report when the fire took place.
10. Mr. Jane (is returning/ was returning) to Korea now.
II. Choose the one word or phrase that best completes the sentence.
1. Many people............ this city every year.
A. visits C. Is visiting
B. visit D. Was visiting
2. Learning foreign language .......... important.
A. is C. Have
B. are D. Are having
3. The music that they listen to.........them to relax.
A. help C. Helps
B. are helping D. Helping
4. The articles that Tim has written............ difficult to understand.
A. has been C. Are
B. Was D. Is
5. Taking a trip to the mountains............. more fun than going to the beach.
A. are C. Is
B. were D. Have been
6. The water in this swimming pool.......... two cold.
A. are feeling C. Feels
B. feel D. Was feeling
7. Exercising everyday.......... good for your health.
A. are C. Were
B. was D. Is
8. Going to the movies last night........... a lot of fun.
A. Were C. Are
B. was D. Being
9. The clothes in those boxes............. to my sister.
A. belong C. Is belonging
B. was belonging D. Belongs
10. Some children............ two many toys.
A. Have C. Have
B. Has had D. Is having