- S + recommend, insist, suggest, advise, propose, request, ask, require, demand, urge, convince (that) S + V infinitive.
Eg: He insisted that he be right
I strongly recommended that he not go out that night
- We also use: It’s necessary, important, vital, essential, imperative, critical that + S + V infinitive.
Eg: It is vital that Mary come here on time.
It is necessary that, Mary be here tomorrow.
Substitutes for If clauses
“and” nghĩa là “if so – nếu vậy”, và “or” nghĩa là “if not – nếu không.”
Ex: Speed up a little more, and we will catch his car.
Study hard for your exam, or you won’t get a good grade.
- Note: Acomma should precede and/or when replacing ifclause.
- Otherwise (= If not), Or else
Ex: We should hurry up; otherwise, we will be late. (Khẩn trương, nếu không ta sẽ bị muộn.)
Be careful, or else you will make a mistake. (Cẩn thận, nếu không bạn sẽ mắc lỗi.)
We did everything we could do; otherwise, we could not have finished in time. (Ta đã làm mọi việc có thể; nếu không, ta đã không thể hoàn thành đúng kế hoạch.)
Eg: Adverb clause
- If I don’t eat breakfast, I get hungry.
- You’ll get wet unless you take your umbrella.
- I always eat breakfast. Otherwise, I get hungry during class.
- You’d better hurry, or (else) you’ll be late.